SRI LANKAN VISA ALERT
Tourists/visitors from India, please note from 1st January 2012 the Free Visa on arrival is scrapped.
There is also a provision to get it at the airport if you do not apply in advance... below is an extract from the website: The website is clear and will give all required info.
Submitting an ETA Application at Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA), Colombo.
For travelers who wish to visit Sri Lanka without prior ETA approval, a limited facility to obtain ETA at BIA is available. Additional fees will apply
Steps to be followed:
1. Upon arrival at the BIA, report to the ETA issuinfg counter and fill in the ETA application form and pay the relevant fee. Only electronic payment cards (credit card/e-commerce enabled debit cards) and cash in foreign currencies designated by the Central Bank of Sri Lanka are accepted.
2. If your application is approved, the ETA will be issued for up to 30 days
3. Receive your ETA approval notice or referral notice. If referral notice is served, you will be refused entry and returned to your original destination.
4. Once you have received your ETA, please proceed to the Immigration Counter and submit your passport
Immigration or Visa Information
Immigration and visas are governed by the Immigrants and Emigrants Act No. 20 of 1948, its Regulations and subsequent amendments. The authority to administer them vests with:
(i) Controller of Immigration and Emigration, Colombo; and
(ii) Heads of Sri Lanka Missions abroad.
2. Visas to Registrants under the Special Resident Guest Scheme.
Multiple Entry / Transit / Visit visa applications should be made to the nearest Sri Lanka Mission. In the absence of such a mission arrangements could be made through the Dept. of Immigration and emigration in Sri Lanka, to enter and stay in the country.
Bona fide tourists from India can be granted landing visa for 30 days at the port of entry in Sri Lanka. Two (02) months extension beyond 30 day shall be granted at the Department of Immigration & Emigration (Head Office), Sri Lanka if required. However further extension shall only be considered with valid reasons. This restriction will not be applicable to Ex-Sri Lankans. Those who visit for purposes other than holiday should obtain prior visas.
Documents required for extension of 30 day visa :
1. Copy of the Bio data page of the passport
2. Relevant visa fee
Further information is available at the website http://www.immigration.gov.lk
Deputy Controller [Visa]
Department of Immigration and Emigration
# 41 Ananda Rajakaruna Mawatha,
Phone: 94-11-5 329000/ 94-11-5 329000
Fax: 94-11-2 674621
Web site: www.immigration.gov.lk